Tuesday 21 December 2010

What the...?

Well, off I trundled to the GP, happy as a sandboy. As blogged before, I was going to sort out contraception. I thought it would be an interesting conversation as I was seeing the doctor who referred us to the infertility crowd.

I wasn't expecting my every motivation to be questioned! Clearly the GP couldn't understand why we would go for contraception and why we wouldn't 'keep both our options open' while we were going through the adoption process.

I tried to tell her that we had crossed that bridge and that this visit was part of that. I started to get frustrated and upset that she couldn't understand (she was saying things like 'well, do you want to spend the next 10 years using hormones?' and 'I have never met anyone who wanted to do something like this') and I think she thought that I was getting upset about not having a baby.

Anyway, she has given me my 'options' and wants me to come away and talk to hubby.  Who agreed with me that she just couldn't see where I was coming from.

I don't know if I could have explained any better, I don't think I'm doing a great job now. I tried to tell her that adoption is our path, we have accepted and embraced that and I want to close that other door now. It is fair on no-one in this process that we may 'accidentally' get pregnant.

Sigh.

Still, when it comes down to it, it is my choice. I will be calling back to arrange a new appointment but, whoah, I wasn't expecting that...

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you had such a bad experience in what really should have been a straightforward appointment.

    I didn't go down the contaception route when it was requested (shush) and decided that the 5% chance of conception was low enough for me to chance it. It was a naive view with hindsight and meant that I wasn't really to put aside the 'chance' element each month even though I was 99% sure we would never conceive and had accepted that as fact.

    However about 3 months into placement I did decide to try the pill again. Mainly because when our child was placed the feeling that I needed to protect what we had was stronger, and also because of my hideously painful periods.

    I was expecting a similiarly bizarre discussion to the one you had but didn't get it. The doc understood that we would most likely never conceive and I have horrible periods - job done.

    Your post makes me feel better about never using contraception during home study/waiting I may have had to endure the doctor's complete lack of understanding as you did.

    ReplyDelete