Thursday 7 October 2010

Is that a learning curve I see before me?

Today I have been doing some reading about adoption and preparing siblings. And the reading has led to book lists and the lists to recommendations and podcasts and other blogs and... and... and...

A little while ago I had started to ask myself how our birth son (who is 7) would deal with a younger sibling, I was trying to come up with answers to any questions he might have before we spoke to him about it. I'm a bit of a detail person and, before long, I had started to stress the other way about how a new small person would deal with how many photos we have of our son, how many stories about him as a baby, about the family tree I have researched with him at the bottom of it. Every issue raised a question, every question an issue. At that stage we had only been to the information session and there I was tying myself in knots!

To be honest, I needn't have worried about him. In a bit of quiet time we had a little chat and he was beside himself with excitement, even talking about how when they were all grown up they would still be the best of friends.

But of course that started me off thinking about how we have to prepare him for it not to be easy, to talk about how they might be scared, or angry. And off I went on the merry go round of questions, issues, etc.

Which leads me to today, and the reading leading to more reading and more questions, etc.

So, I have come to a conclusion that I may as well accept that it is going to be a VERY steep learning curve, and I'm going to try not to sweat the stuff I don't need to sweat about just yet. And to try to take on board my son's attitude that it's quite an exciting adventure, actually, and imagine that future when they are grown up and best mates, just as he can see it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment